Thanks For Looking!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to read the Musings of a Crazy Man blog. I welcome you to leave constructive comments...

Saturday, May 7, 2016

perspective

Today I read a friend's post which was a petition to stop consumption of dog meat in Yulin, China.  After thinking about it, I decided to challenge the petition, after all, we as Americans consume millions of tons of beef annually and really what is the difference?  Before I go too much further, let me clarify that I do not advocate killing or eating dogs, cats, or any other animal (as I slowly digest that meatloaf I had for supper).  I feel like we have gone too far in judging other cultures based on our own moral compass.
If we look at animals from the viewpoint of the farmer, it is very hard to see any difference.  For centuries, animals have been raised with eating their flesh, in mind.  Cows, Pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, geese, turkeys, etc. are all farmed for their meat, even today.  Why is it so morally reprehensible for dogs and cats to be included in that menagerie?  Where is the line? 

No comments: