Thanks For Looking!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to read the Musings of a Crazy Man blog. I welcome you to leave constructive comments...

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Labels...Really??

I see all kinds of people labeling each other.  Gay, straight, bi, androgynous, lesbian, and other.  Is it really that big of a deal that we put each other into little compartments, nice and neat, no muss no fuss?  I think not.  There is a trend growing in the USA.  The trend is announcing to the world that one is gender and sexuality fluid.  I knew from an early age that I liked boys.  I did not know that there was a different name for people like me until I got to high school.  It was not that I was sheltered, far from it.  It just was not really something people talked about.  I remember the first time I labeled myself...I was bi...not because I thought there was anything wrong with being who I was, but because others found it more acceptable since I still "liked" girls.  The truth is, I never really was into girls.  Not really...I mean I had some interesting sexual trysts that involved females, but there was always a strong desire for other guys.  I did (straight) marry twice, though with both I was completely honest about my desires.  With the first one, she thought it was cool...she used to bring guys home to share with me.  The second never really understood what I needed, though I can say that I loved them both.  

For me sex and love are two different concepts.  Sex is about a physical need being satisfied, whereas love is about the heart.  I know that many do not see the difference and have a hard time understanding.  Let me try to explain...sex is the primal need to spread your seed (obviously for men)...the sexual desire transcends everything...name, financial status, marital status, gender, sexuality, etc...when there is a physical attraction (regardless) sex is possible.  It is a physiological process that has kept humanity alive and growing for millennia.  Love on the other hand, is about nurturing and sharing...I have known love in my life...I fell in love with a guy who did not love me as I loved him...I knew from the beginning...yet I still loved...It is irrational and makes no sense whatsoever, but we do it, nonetheless.  It has no relation to sex...

Wait...I know that as a species, humans like to think that love leads to sex...they are wrong.  It is wonderful and nice when you love a person that you are having sex with, but love is not necessary.  I know it seems strange and slutty  that one could have sex without knowing anything about the other, but it happens every day in every species.  Humans are not the only ones to have sex for fun.  It has been documented that certain cetaceans and nearly all monkey kind have sex for pleasure.  I would even go so far as to say that many have multiple partners, of both genders.  

I guess the whole point of this blog is to say that we as intelligent beings, armed with the knowledge that we do, that there really is no point in assigning labels to sexuality or gender as they are both as undefinable as love.  I say, let love be love and sex be sex...if one can be lucky enough to love the one they have sex with then it is a win...but not having love with sex or sex with love should not be considered a loss either.  All shades of love and sexuality should be accepted without question.  We are being what and who we were created to be...all of us.

No comments: